Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services
The Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services industry includes companies that generate, transmit, distribute and sell electricity, natural gas, water and waste services to residential, commercial and industrial customers.
Subcategories within the industry include:
- Electric utilities: These companies generate and transmit electricity to customers through a network of power plants, transmission lines and substations.
- Natural gas utilities: These companies distribute natural gas to customers through a network of pipelines, storage facilities and distribution systems.
- Water utilities: These companies provide potable water to customers through a network of treatment plants, pipelines and distribution systems.
- Waste services: These companies provide waste collection, disposal and recycling services to customers through a network of landfills, recycling centers and transfer stations.
- Independent power producers: These companies generate electricity through renewable or non-renewable sources and sell it to electric utilities or directly to customers.
- Energy traders: These companies buy and sell electricity, natural gas and other energy products on the open market to generate profits.
- Energy service companies: These companies provide energy-related services such as energy efficiency consulting, energy management systems and energy-efficient products to customers.