Information and communications technology
The information and communications technology (ICT) industry encompasses the development, production, and distribution of technology products and services that enable the communication and processing of information. This includes hardware, software, and services related to computers, telecommunications, and the internet.
Subcategories of the ICT industry include:
- Hardware: This subcategory includes the production and distribution of physical technology products, such as computers, servers, smartphones, and networking equipment.
- Software: This subcategory includes the development and distribution of computer programs and applications, such as operating systems, productivity software, and gaming software.
- Telecommunications: This subcategory includes the provision of communication services, such as voice and data services, through the use of telephone and internet networks.
- Internet Services: This subcategory includes the provision of internet-based services, such as search engines, social media, and online marketplaces.
- Cloud Computing: This subcategory includes the provision of remote computing and storage services through the internet, allowing users to access and share data and applications from any location.
- Cyber Security: This subcategory includes the development and implementation of security measures to protect information and communications systems from unauthorized access and data breaches.
- Artificial Intelligence: This subcategory includes the development and implementation of computer systems that can perform tasks that would normally require human intelligence, such as speech recognition, decision making and natural language processing.